Say hello to decadence. These richly-flavored, diabetic-friendly Cherry-Almond Cheesecake Bars use reduced-fat cream cheese and whipped topping to minimize both calorie and total fat content per serving.
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 (8 ounce) packages reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup finely chopped dried cherries
- 10 tablespoons fat-free frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (Optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan or line pan with foil, extending foil up over the edges of the pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, oats, brown sugar and almonds. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, granulated sugar, vanilla and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add egg, beating on low speed just until combined. Stir in cherries. Spread cream cheese mixture over partially baked crust.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until cream cheese layer is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours before serving.
Cut into bars to serve. Garnish individual servings with dessert topping and/or almonds, if desired. Store in refrigerator.
If using a sugar substitute, choose Sweet'N Low(R) Brown in place of brown sugar. Choose from Splenda(R) Granular, Sweet'N Low(R) or Nevella(R) in place of granulated sugar. Follow package directions to use product amount that's equivalent to1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Nutrition Per Serving with Substitute: Same as below, except 122 cal., 9 g carbohydrate. Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate. Carbohydrate choices: 1/2.
- Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Calories: 141
- protein 4.3g;
- carbohydrates 13.5g;
- dietary fiber 0.6g;
- sugars 7.8g;
- fat 8g;
- saturated fat 4.4g;
- cholesterol 22.9mg.