There is no ultimate cure for diabetes. Despite it is a chronic disease, it can be perfectly controlled.
Most people with diabetes use meters and strips to monitor glucose level on a daily basis. Though, there is another device that is even more handy - the CGM systems. Today Let’s talk about differences and similarities of two the most famous and wholesome sensors - FREESTYLE LIBRE and DEXCOM G6
- Freestyle Libre is a flash glucose monitoring system vs Dexcom G6 is a continuous glucose monitor;
- Freestyle Libre alerts only when you scan it via phone or meter vs Dexcom G6 alarms every time if your glucose goes too high or too low, based on limits that you set;
- Fingerstick is not required both for Freestyle Libre and Dexcom G6;
- Freestyle Libre is approved in the US for ten days to wear on your body while Dexcom G6 is approved for seven days;
- Freestyle Libre alerts you to do fingersticks more often than Dexcom G6 since the reliability of Libre is lower. Dexcom G6 is more accurate (especially below 80 mg/dl blood sugar);
- Dexcom G6 is more expensive compared to Libre;
- Freestyle Libre stops recording blood sugars if you have not scanned again within 8 hours vs Dexcom keeps tracking non-stop.
But, it doesn't really matter, which sensor you use, Dexcom or Freestyle Libre, don't forget to secure it with adhesive patch!