Of course, we start with insulin because it’s a must. But there are some more supplies you will probably need to have on hand. An emergency kit for diabetes type 1 has to be customized for your specific needs; nevertheless, we’d like to share some of the things which you can use as a guideline.
- Insulin and blood glucose monitor
- Cold storage container with prepared ice
- Ice pack for insulin which is usually stored in the refrigerator
- Blood testing strips
- If you were told to check for ketones, put those tests too
- Antiseptic wipes
- Insulin pump supplies
- Vials of insulin and syringes (in case the pump stops working)
- CGM supplies (if you are using freestyle libre monitor, take extra freestyle libre patches)
- Extra batteries for a blood test monitor and insulin pump. You can use a mobile power pack for device that should be recharged.
- Emergency glucose for hypoglycemia.
- Enough bottled water because it’s necessary to stay hydrated.
Also we recommend to сare a list of contact information in case of emergency with you and a sheet about your condition and treatment. Never hurts to take extra precaution.